On May 18, 2020 at 3 p.m, the HSE University will host a presentation of the new analytical report titled “Protecting Peace, Earth, and Freedom of Choice for All Countries. New Ideas for Russia’s Foreign Policy”.
This report was prepared based on the results of a situation analysis conducted at the end of 2019, a number of preliminary studies, and two subsequent discussions involving a narrow circle of experts.
The work on the report went through some rough times. Its version intended for governmental authorities was distributed in February 2020. An open version for the public was intended to come out in March. But the coronavirus epidemic and the information hysteria it triggered made normal discussion impossible. In addition, the profound problems it exposed required many of the conclusions and recommendations made in the report to be refined and some new tasks to be set. At the same time, the overall logic of the report and its underlying message have not changed and, in fact, have become even stronger. So the text fully prepared for printing had to be rewritten or edited to add new pieces, and its presentation postponed. In general, the need for new ideas for Russia’s policy, intended both for the country itself and the world, has become even more obvious.
The report is based on situation analyses results. Situation analyses was conducted under the auspices of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, with the support of the Committee on International Affairs of the State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation and the International Public Fund “Russian Peace Foundation,” as well as the Council on Foreign and Defense Policy (CFDP) and Russia in Global Affairs journal.
Publishing Editor, Scenario and Writing Team Head: Sergei A. Karaganov.
- Sergei A. Karaganov (main author), Academic Supervisor — Dean of the Faculty of World Economy and International Relations of the National Research University Higher School of Economics (HSE University), Honorary Chairman of the CFDP Presidium;
- Dmitry V. Suslov (main author), Deputy Director, Center for Comprehensive European and International Studies, HSE University;
- Yevgeny A. Primakov, Deputy of the Russian State Duma;
- Igor A. Makarov, Head, Department of World Economy, Faculty of World Economy and International Relations, HSE University;
- Larisa D. Popovich, Director, Institute for Health Economics, HSE University